The Case for One More Child

Share This Post

Large families elicit the dual response of admiration and worry, conjuring images of self-sacrifice but also overpopulation. Douthat takes a different approach, noting that none of the previously forecasted population-related disasters have occured, alongside repositioning children as sources of purpose. “If I didn’t have kids there’s a 5 percent chance that I’d be doing something more radical in pursuit of sainthood; there’s a 95 percent chance that I’d just be a more persistent sinner”. Read full article here

More To Explore

Technology

The First Solar-Powered Car Comes at a Hot Price

The Lightyear O is a revolutionary electric car powered by the sun. Developed by a Dutch startup, the four-door sedan has over 50 square feet of solar panels on its roof and hood, generating up to 43 miles of energy a day. With production now underway in Finland, the car does come with a hefty price tag at $262,000, but the company hopes to introduce a more affordable version, the Lightyear 2, by 2025. Read full article here

Science

Magneto Protein Could Help Magnets Control Brain Circuitry

This groundbreaking research by scientists at the University of Virginia has demonstrated a novel way to control the nervous systems of zebrafish and mice using magnets. This method, called magnetogenetics, involves inserting genetic constructs into neurons to make them sensitive to magnetic fields, providing a more precise and non-invasive way to control and manipulate neural circuits than traditional methods. This could one day revolutionize the treatment of brain disorders in humans. Read full article here

Do You want to embrace intellectual freedom and join our premium users?

FASCINATING READS, SUMMARISED

The occasional email full of conversation-worthy content