Peak Phosphorus is Worse Than Climate Change

The American corn industry and its 94 million acres of crops all use phosphorus as a fertiliser, but phosphorus supplies are running dangerously low; it’s estimated that global phosphorus reserves could be depleted in as little as 50 years, with forecasted increases in crop prices being the first on a list of concerns. With only 20% of America’s corn yield set for human consumption and the other 80% split evenly between ethanol production and animal feed, this simple chemical element directly ties to three of the most prominent American industries. Read full article here

FASCINATING READS, SUMMARISED

The occasional email full of conversation-worthy content